- Adults 80 years and older are the fastest growing segment in the United States.
- Life expectancy has recently climbed to 78 years of age.
- American seniors now outnumber the entire population of Canada.
- Since 1950, the number of Americans over one hundred years has grown more than ten times.
- By 2080, the number of senior adults who are over the age of one hundred is expected to increase by a factor of 75.2
Taken from Senior Adult Ministry in the 21st Century by Dr. David P. Gallagher (Group Publishers, 2002) David Gallagher is Pastor Emeritus of our church (PWCC) and served as our Senior Pastor from 1997-2008. He also served as our Associate Pastor for Pastoral Care, and as a consultant and conference leader for churches throughout the United States.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Great Reading
- Senior Adult Ministry in the 21st Century, Dr. David Gallagher, Group Publishing, 2002
- Growing Old in Christ, Stanley Hauerwas, Carole baily Stoneking, Keith Meader, David Cloutier, Eerdmans Pub., 2003
- The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully, Joan Chittister, Bluebridge Pub., 2008
- Start Strong, Finish Strong: Prescription for a Lifetime of Great Health, Kenneth Cooper, Tyler Cooper, Avery Pub., 2008
WEBSITES: For personal support
- Significant Living: A nonprofit organization created in 1994 as a response to the need to represent the values and morals of Christian seniors in America
- Aging In Place: for seniors and their families to have a healthy and comfortable life at home as long as possible.
- Aging Successfully Today: Resources for senior living as Christians, produced by Dr. Dave Gallagher.
- Area Agency on Aging (Arizona): part of a national network designed to respond to the needs of older adults. They have a great directory of programs and services for elderly.
HELP for SENIOR ADULTS
MEMBERS Helping SENIOR MEMBERS
We have a number of folks willing to help with transportation, minor home repairs, answer questions on health issues and more. We have several groups that can be helpful to people in need: Pastoral Assistance Team, Stephen Ministries, Griefshare, Advanced Planning for End of Life Matters, and more.
COMMUNITY RESOURCES for SENIORS
Benevilla is a local nonprofit social services organization that provides:
- Transportation to Doctor Appointments
- Grocery Shopping
- Handyman and light housekeeping
- Senior Day Care
- Home Care Assistance
Hospice of the Valley:
Provides support for chronic and serious illness. Helping Our Memory-Impaired Elders: Medicare certified home health program for dementia care (Hospice and Respite Care).
Provides Senior Placement service to help families find appropriate care for their loved one at no cost to the family or to the facilities to which referrals are made. They act as a third-party to help meet the medical and social needs of all seniors.
Click here to find out more
I think age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
– Tom Stoppard
Too many people, when they get old, think that they have to live by the calendar. – John Glenn (1921-2016)
Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. – Edward Stanley (1826-1893)
Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days. -Job 12:12
So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. – Psalm 71:18